Thursday, June 30, 2011

on meditation and the Gospel of John

(Yep, that's baby B meditating. Unfortunately no pictures of me doing so!)

Increasingly through my devotions over the past few days, I've felt myself being led to meditate more on the Word of God. And by that I mean really
read the Word of God -- really meditate -- not just skim through the words without any real thought or understanding.

Psalm 1:2-3 says, "But his delight and desire are in the law of the Lord, and on His law (the precepts, the instructions, the teachings of God) he habitually meditates (ponders and studies) by day and by night.

And he shall be like a tree firmly planted [and tended] by the streams of water, ready to bring forth its fruit in its season; its leaf also shall not fade or wither; and everything he does shall prosper [and come to maturity]".

And Psalm 119:15, "I will meditate on Your precepts and have respect to Your ways [the paths of life marked out by Your law]".


So I've decided to really meditate on the Word in a committed way as part of my dedicated prayer times. Of course I do think of God's Word randomly throughout my day, but obviously that is not meditating. So while praying this morning, I considered what it was in my walk with God on which I should concentrate. And the answer came quite simply: "Jesus Christ".


I realised that when I pray, I largely address myself to "dear Lord", or "heavenly Father", and often just, "Father". I noticed that I don't say Jesus' name a great deal, except when I'm asking something, like "I ask all this in Jesus' name" (I think I do that because when I'm asking something, my feeling of unworthiness really comes to the fore).

And so I talked to God about this. I realised that sometimes I have this tendency to actually start "reasoning" about Jesus, even while praying. I definitely do believe that Jesus is the son of God, that He is in fact God -- but therein's the mystery right? I believe this, but it really is a conviction in my heart, a knowledge in my spirit. It can't be head knowledge, because really, one just can't wrap one's head around this.

How is Jesus the son of God, and also God? And let's not forget the Holy Spirit of course. One God in three Persons, with each of these Persons being distinct and separate from the others, while at the same time being completely united. The Holy Trinity is one of the great mysteries, and I think you only "get" it through God-given revelation, through the God-given gift of faith. And then it's up to you to keep growing it, like a seed.

I am "more than a conqueror" through Christ remember? Christ lives in me! I want to be living a victorious Christian life -- a truly bold, joyful, peaceful, positive life.


And so, I realised that I need to know Jesus more.
I picked up my Bible and sort of flipped through it in a vague way, wondering where to start, when I felt led to read the Gospel of John.

I know from previous reading that this Gospel is quite different from the other three Gospels. But reading it again this morning, with the consciousness of really meditating, really reading, with new eyes as it were, the words really had a greater depth of meaning and revelation for me than ever before.

The very beginning of this Gospel gives one so much food for thought:


"IN THE beginning [before all time] was the Word (Christ), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God Himself.

He was present originally with God.


All things were made and came into existence through Him; and without Him was not even one thing made that has come into being.


In Him was Life, and the Life was the Light of men.
And the Light shines on in the darkness, for the darkness has never overpowered it [put it out or absorbed it or appropriated it, and is unreceptive to it]" (John 1:1-5).

Then verses 12-18: "... to as many as did receive and welcome Him, He gave the authority (power, privilege, right) to become the children of God, that is, to those who believe in (adhere to, trust in, and rely on) His name...


... For out of His fullness (abundance) we have all received [all had a share and we were all supplied with] one grace after another and spiritual blessing upon spiritual blessing and even favor upon favor and gift [heaped] upon gift.


... No man has ever seen God at any time; the only unique Son, or the only begotten God, Who is in the bosom [in the intimate presence] of the Father, He has declared Him [He has revealed Him and brought Him out where He can be seen; He has interpreted Him and He has made Him known]".


Wow.
There's a lot to meditate on, and that's just the first chapter. I've prayed for the discipline to keep to this meditation, and would like to share my readings of this Gospel with you as I go along. Perhaps you shall feel led to really read something in the Bible too, with new eyes and understanding.

"My son, attend to my words; consent and submit to my sayings. Let them not depart from your sight; keep them in the center of your heart. For they are life to those who find them, healing and health to all their flesh" (Prov 4:20-22).

1 comment:

Adam Pastor said...

Greetings BIKBIK AND RORO

On the subject of the Trinity,
I recommend this video:
The Human Jesus

Take a couple of hours to watch it; and prayerfully it will aid you in your quest for truth.

Yours In Messiah
Adam Pastor

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...