Tuesday, March 13, 2012

loving today: book 8

The eighth literary Loving Today inspired by this post.
* * *
"Last night I dreamed about you, Miss Fairlie. I was standing inside the communion rails of a church - I on one side of the altar-table, and the clergyman... on the other.
"After a time there walked toward us... a man and a woman, coming to be married. You were the woman. You looked so pretty and innocent in your beautiful white silk dress... my heart felt for you, and the tears came into my eyes.
"They were tears of pity... they turned into two rays of light which slanted nearer and nearer to the man standing at the altar with you, till they touched his breast... I looked along them, and I saw down into his inmost heart...
"It was black as night, and on it were written, in the red flaming letters which are the handwriting of the fallen angel, 'Without pity and without remorse. He has strewn with misery the paths of others, and he will live to strew with misery the path of this woman by his side'... then the rays of light shifted and pointed over his shoulder; and there behind him, stood a fiend laughing. And the rays of light shifted once more... and there, behind you, stood an angel weeping".

extract from The Woman In White, by Wilkie Collins

LT99


* Psst -- don't miss out on this giveaway, ending March 16th *

3 comments:

Cynthia Craft said...

A lovely excerpt. I was drawn into its magic instantly. Very inspiring, with lovely mood photos as well. Well done!
--Cynthia

poetryofobjects said...

Thank you so much for including my birdcasge in your blog...a lovely collection.

Miss Val's Creations said...

Beautiful post. The photo from Fine Heart Works is so stunning!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...