Monday, October 10, 2011

loving today: Book 1

Remember that post I did on "what to read"? And remember how I wondered if I could do a Loving Today for each of those books? Well, I decided to try!

I'm choosing things that somehow remind me of each book; subjective associations, as it were, rather than literal translations. Hopefully I manage to capture at least a sense of the book, indefinite though it may be, and inspire you to go read it :)
* * *

Arabella, with her hands folded in front of her, looked at them all with a calm, indifferent expression upon her face. She did not trouble to answer any of their kind inquiries. She seemed neither surprized nor embarrassed to find them there.

"Where in the world have you been?" demanded Strange.

"Walking," she said. Her voice was just as it had always been.

"Walking! Arabella, are you quite mad? In three feet of snow? Where?"

"In the dark woods," she said, "among my soft-sleeping brothers and sisters. Across the high moors among the sweet-scented ghosts of my brothers and sisters long dead. Under the grey sky through the dreams and murmurs of my brothers and sisters yet to come".

extract from Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, by Susanna Clarke

LT61x

5 comments:

Cate said...

What a beautifully haunting treasury! I'm so honored that you included my ghost. Thanks!

The Raspberry Lipstick said...

thank you for your lovely comment
would you like to follow each other?
http://chillychickblog.blogspot.com/

Amy said...

perfect. :o)

Terry said...

Lovely. My sincerest thanks.

Renée said...

This is on my shelf to read! I'm bumping it up to next in line, this treasury is beautiful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...