Tuesday, October 4, 2011

what to read on a deserted island

Daily Candy had a great article a few days ago entitled 101 Great Books to Keep You Busy from Now On: What to Read on a Deserted Island.

To solve the problem of "what should we read?", they polled their editors and reader friends about their favourite books. "The results were effusive, even overwhelming at times", they wrote, but they managed to successfully come up with an impressive list of 101 great reads.

Of course we all have our personal feelings about what makes for outstanding literature. I applauded the inclusion of Brave New World, Into The Wild, To Kill a Mockingbird, Anna Karenina, Little Women, and The Fountainhead, as well as the books by John Irving, but I couldn't help wondering about the likes of Flowers In The Attic, The Secret History, and -- hnnngh -- Harry Potter. Twilight was left out at any rate haha..

Well, I thought I'd put together a little collection myself, certainly just a scratch on the surface of the world's great literature. But some of them are pretty thick, so they should keep you well occupied on that deserted island :)

6210186923_ab6f1bd55d_o

1. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clark
2. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
3. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
4. The Count Of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
5. Crime And Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
6. The Bishop Of Hell & Other Stories by Marjorie Bowen
7. Adam Bede by George Eliot
8. The Woman In White by Wilkie Collins
9. The Gormenghast Novels by Mervyn Peake

I wonder if I could do a Loving Today for each of them?

2 comments:

my thrifty closet said...

Thank you for the recommendation, now i will never have to worry about feeling bored if I'm ever stuck on an island. On a serious note, these books are real classics, the one that interest me the most would be "Neverwhere"

Amy said...

Wonderful recommendations! I agree about the other list...a couple of these are new to me, and I'm excited to look for them at the library. And Yay for Jonathan Strange!!! (Will she ever write a sequal, do you think?) :o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...